I had never been too excited by the idea of traditional white potato topped Shepherd’s pie. But I think it’s the color of butternut squash/pumpkin topping that tempted me to give this a try. Also, since it’s one of those use-up-leftovers and a one-dish meal recipe, it’s ideal, especially post workout!
- 2lb ground beef
- 1 large (~3lb) butternut squash (can use pumpkin instead if you prefer)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 onions chopped
- 1-2 carrots
- 2-3 stalks of celery
- (And any other vegetables you feel like adding)
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tsp paprika
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Kerrygold butter (WLC approved!)
- Few sprigs of cilantro chopped for garnish
For the mashed butternut squash:
- Split the squash length wise (if it is too hard to cut through, microwave on high for 2-3 minutes to soften it a little). Scoop out the seeds.
- If using an oven, place the squash cut side down and roast in the oven for 35-45 minutes at 350F until it is soft. I used a microwave – put the squash in pyrex dish, cut side up and microwave on high for 8 minutes. Then cover with a plastic lid and microwave for another 12 minutes (check at the 8 min mark to see if it has softened). Discard the liquid collected. Be careful – the squash will be very hot!
- Scoop out the flesh in a separate bowl. Add some salt, butter and 2 tsp paprika and mash. This itself is an excellent snack!
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- While the butternut squash is in the microwave, chop and prep all your vegetables.
- In a large pan, heat some coconut oil. Add the onions, celery and carrots. Season with salt.
- When these vegetables are tender and slightly brown, add the ground beef. Season with salt and brown the beef.
- Add the herbs, rosemary and thyme along with the can of crushed tomatoes. Add 1 tsp paprika, and let it cook on medium for 5-6 minutes.
Assembling the Shepherd’s Pie:
- Place the cooked ground beef in a large pyrex baking dish.
- Top it with the mashed butternut squash spread evenly (about an inch thick).
- Let it bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes of baking, turn on the broil for another 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve!