This post is long overdue – one cannot emphasize enough the importance of consuming organ meats, especially liver.
This “nature’s multivitamin” or “most nutrient-dense food on the planet” has been regarded as one of the prized components in all traditional cultures, along with other organs, namely kidneys and brains.
Why is liver such a super food?
– Excellent source of fat soluble Vitamins A, D, K, E
– Source Vitamin B12 (one of the most under-diagnosed deficiencies today) and folic acid (another B-complex vitamin)
– Excellent quality of proteins
– Minerals such as copper and iron
– Source of CoQ10 (required by every cell, is an antioxidant, important for cardiovascular health)
So if you’d like to live longer and prevent a lot of the modern day signs of aging and disease, then eating liver (from pretty much any animal, as long as it is from grassfed, pastured sources) is your best supplement for micronutrients.
That said, if one hasn’t eaten liver before, it can take a little bit to get used to. So here’s an easy recipe with some simple, but great ingredients that’ll make you forget that its “good” for you!
* Note: Grassfed beef vendors at the farmers market (such as Urban Harvest) do carry beef liver and it is usually frozen.