Perfect for a weeknight, this spicy Thai curry soup is easy to put together with some pantry staples and any vegetables you have on hand. In 20-30 minutes, you have a meal in a bowl…and the best part, you’re cleaning just one utensil at the end of it!!
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 medium onions
- 1 crown broccoli
- 1 can straw mushrooms (available in the Asian/International aisle)
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat, not “Lite”)
- 1 tb sp coconut oil (or olive oil / ghee)
- 1 tb sp garlic paste
- 2 tb sp Thai red curry paste
- 1 tb sp lemon grass paste (optional, or you can put in a stalk of fresh lemon grass)
- 1 lime
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 Thai chili (if you like it extra hot!)
- Salt to taste (the best way is to add some salt with every ingredient as you go along to make sure it’s seasoned well)
- Last, but not the least, your favorite cooking music playlist!
* Feel free to experiment with a variety vegetables – fresh and canned (various types of mushrooms, bamboo shoots, cabbage, carrots, zucchini, red bell peppers, green beans)
- Cut the chicken thighs into bit size pieces. Add about 1 tsp salt and garlic paste and let it marinate outside for 15 minutes while you chop and prep the other ingredients.
- Heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Once the oil is hot, add onions and let them cook until translucent or slightly brown.
- Then, add the chicken, spread it evenly and let it cook on each side for about 2 minutes until no longer pink.
- Stir in 1 tb sp of the Thai red curry paste and cook for a minute.
- Add coconut milk, rest of the curry paste, lemon grass and mix well. Let this simmer on medium heat for 4-5 minutes
- Add broccoli, mushrooms and continue to simmer for 5 minutes. Check seasoning and add more paste/salt as necessary.
- Add chopped thai chili (optional).
- Before serving, squeeze one lime and garnish with shredded fresh basil leaves.
* The Cocinaware enamel coated dutch oven available at HEB works well for a recipe like this – great price (around $30), convenient size, and easy to maintain.
* This can also be made in a crock pot – add all the ingredients (except lime, basil and tender veggies) and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3 hours. Then before serving, add the vegetables and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Garnish with lime and basil.