This weekend, we celebrate Memorial Day. Thank you to all those who serve in our Armed Forces either currently or in the past. It is because of your sacrifice that we can experience this great freedom in our country.
But this weekend also starts the summer season. Grilling, cookouts, yummy fresh fruits and veggies…oh, how I love summer. Here is one of my absolute favorite recipes. Take it to your cookout this weekend, and I bet your dish will be the hit of the party! It is very versatile and downright addicting.
1 cup diced peeled ripe mango
1 cup diced fresh pineapple
1/4 cup roasted red pepper
3 TBSP minced red onion
1 1/2 TBSP minced seeded fresh jalapeno pepper
2 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro
2 tsp fresh lime juice
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
2-3 green onions, sliced
Dice fruit into small pieces. Combine all ingredients into a bowl and mix. Cover and refridgerate for at least 30 minutes to combine the flavors. Top with green onions to garnish.
Here are some of my favorite ways to eat Tropical Salsa:
* Spoon over chicken, pork, shrimp, fish, or even carne asada
* Serve with zucchini spears, celery, or jicama slices
* Grill up some grass fed sausage links, slice and top with this salsa
* Try a paleo tortilla chip recipe or a plantain chip recipe
* Over an omlet or a mexican frittata
* Add as a topping to a burger
* Eat it by itself and lick the bowl clean – yeah, it’s that good!
Try it and let me know your favorite way of eating it! Happy Memorial Day!